Apocyclops Panamensis Copepod
- These pods are new to the commercial trade, and quickly becoming a widely sought after item due to their reproductive capability and salinity tolerance.
- Studies have shown that they survive and even reproduce in salinities from 1.000 (freshwater) to 1.028.
- They are a very diverse copepod as far as tank location goes. The nauplii will tend to cling to tank surfaces, but, as they mature to adults, they spend much of their time in the water column (very good counterpart to the tisbe copepod).
- They primarily eat pthytoplankton, but are adept at eating both diatoms and some types of cyanobacteria.
- On the small side as far as copepods go (about half the size of tisbe), but, they reproduce very quickly. Under ideal conditions, they can double their population within a matter of days.
- As the adults like to swim in the water column, they are prime candidates for reef fish, which can lead to their population being decimated within a day. Ideal location for steady reproduction would be a refugium or pod factory tank which the fish cannot get into.
Quick Stats On Tisbe:
- Ideal Salinity Range: 1.020-1.028
- Ideal Ph Range: 7.6-8.4
- Ideal Temperature Range: 72-82F
- Ammonia Tolerance: <0.5ppm
- Location Preference: Nauplii spends most of it’s time on tank walls, rock, and substrate. Adults spend most of their time swimming in the water column.
- Sexual Maturation From Birth: 10 Days
- Average Brood Size: 8
- Reproductive Cycle Following Sexual Maturation: 4 days